[Web4lib] "The Ultimate Debate: Do Libraries Innovate" at ALAthis month

Tennant,Roy tennantr at oclc.org
Thu Jun 7 12:23:19 EDT 2007

Unfortunately I missed the early part of this discussion, but I'd like
to make sure everyone knows that the folks most responsible for the
debate topic and description are me, Stephen Abram, Karen Schneider, and
Joe Janes. The IRSIG group (as noted below by Joe) had originally come
up with something else. We speakers (I had a conflict and had to bow
out, and Andrew Pace was kind enough to step in to take my place)
basically revolted and said we want to speak about this instead. The
IRSIG group was extremely accommodating, and took a fair amount of flack
from LITA management while defending it. They were mostly caught in the
middle between we who wanted to specifically be provocative (I mean,
it's a DEBATE people) and LITA management who wanted to tone down the
description. I respect all parties involved and I am happy with the
result. The very fact that this discussion has erupted even before the
event is, to my way of thinking, all to the good. I mean, that's the
point -- to discuss and debate and try to find the truth of it all. Or
at least to get people thinking.
Roy