[Web4lib] Restricting OPAC to just catalog and databases?

Dale E. Goodell goodeld at wou.edu
Wed Jun 6 16:44:17 EDT 2007

For our Library WebOPAC Stations, I configured a "fake proxy" to accomplish this.

In IE, go into Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Proxy Server.  The address of the fake proxy is 127.0.0.1.  Next, establish a "white list" of allowed sites; add your catalog's IP address and DNS entry to this list, as well as those for your databases.

This configuration will allow access only to the white list; attempts to go to any other site will give the user a "404" error.  We downloaded a free application, Xitami, several years ago, to use as a local web server for the 127.0.0.1 local IP; you can create your own customized 404 page and Xitami will display this for you rather than the usual 404 error.