[Web4lib] loading database descriptions into web page

Sandra Cahillane scahilla at baypath.edu
Mon Jul 30 19:33:49 EDT 2007

Hello again,

Thank you all for your support.  I really don't know how I've gotten along
without you.

Here is my latest dilemma.  I have someone capable of writing me a script
that would load database descriptions into a web page for me similar to
what they have at UMass Amherst
(http://www.library.umass.edu/cgi-bin/aka/databases.cgi?command=viewdesc&id=5e413c58e05b0c653b4c01b7f85cb881).
  That is, you click on an info button on my alpha list of databases and a
separate page with a description of one specific database is populated.
The problem is, I have no idea how to create the link that would pull the
info from the database description pages, I'm assuming that part would be
fairly simple though.  Nor do I know how to format the description page so
it would work with the script.  The person I am working with said to create
a "dynamic" HTML page, but I'm not sure what that means.  These days, I
though they were all dynamic.

Do I need to create individual pages for each database description?  Or is
their a way to create a page with all the database descriptions and have
the appropriate data pulled depending on which database you wanted info on?

Does anyone have pages/examples/sites they can share with me that I could
work from?

Thanks in advance,
Sandy

Sandy Cahillane