[Web4lib] Headphone for Library Internet use.

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Mon Jul 30 10:21:31 EDT 2007

We use some mid-grade ones from DEMCO.  Not cheap ($9.49 each), but we
check them out (not barcoded - we just take name and phone number).  We
have about 10 units available at any given time - we've replaced the
equivalent of each of them 1x in 5+ years - about half to walkaways,
half to wearing out.  We've had some mistaken walkaways returned with a
simple phone call.  They're reasonably sturdy, with a volume control on
the wire, and cleanable (with alcohol swab) "leatherette" ear covers.
They come in individual ziploc bags - we keep them in the bags with
their checkout sheet at the service desks.  We label them with a Sharpie
(plenty of space on the headset) - they have a letter designation, which
matches the checkout sheet.  Very simple, but we've never felt the need
to get more complicated.

DEMCO - www.demco.com - item # P14964060

We're a mid-sized, suburban public library.  Good luck!  It looks like
other folks have given you some good ideas.

Louise E. Alcorn
Reference Technology Librarian
West Des Moines Public Library
4000 Mills Civic Pkwy