[Web4lib] eXtensible Catalog Project survey results posted

Bowen, Jennifer jbowen at library.rochester.edu
Fri Jul 20 14:20:51 EDT 2007

(apologies for cross-postings...)

The University of Rochester River Campus Libraries are designing and
developing a set of open-source applications that will provide libraries
with an alternative way to reveal their collections to library users.
This set of applications, called the eXtensible Catalog (XC), will
provide easy access to all library resources (both digital and physical
collections) and will enable library content to be revealed through
other services, such as content management systems and learning
management systems.

XC will be a collaborative effort between partners that will serve a
variety of roles in its development.  Phase 1 of the XC project
(2006-2007), funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, involved the
creation of a project plan for developing XC during Phase 2.

To inform the development of a plan for XC, we conducted a survey of
prospective library users of XC to gauge interest in the XC system and
readiness to implement it.  A summary of the findings from this survey
is now available on the XC blog:

http://www.extensiblecatalog.info/

We look forward to hearing your comments on our findings, and on the XC
project in general.

Look for additional Outcomes from Phase 1 of the XC Project to be posted
to the blog over the next couple of months!

Jennifer Bowen, Nancy Fried Foster, and David Lindahl, XC Co-Principal
Investigators, for the XC Team