[Web4lib] Re: [lita-l] Why don't bookstores use Dewey or LC? Was: NYT article on Dewey-less Arizona public library

robin na georgiawebgurl at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 07:34:57 EDT 2007

Hi all,
I did work in a bookstore that used LC classification to organize some materials.

In college, I worked in a bookstore chain (since acquired by Borders). After checking in our shipments of books, our next step was to determine where the books would be shelved. The exceptions (new popular novels, promotions, juvenile literature, media, and periodicals) each had their own organization (primarily genre and then by either author/musician or title). However, within those organizations, we were supposed to check the call number, if we ran into questions.

For the rest of the store stacks, we shelved by LC call number from the CIP (if no CIP, we just shelved it the best we could). There was no signage indicating such to patrons, but we had a few smart cookies and librarians, who figured out our devious plot. ;-)

I'm not sure whether this was indicative of larger corporate training or whether it came from a manager looking for shortcuts in how to teach a mostly student workforce to correctly shelve material.  We certainly weren't trained in LC classification in any detail. If a book was bound for the regular shelves, we checked the verso, wrote down the call number, and shelved it accordingly. ;-)

Robin

Karen Coyle <kcoyle at kcoyle.net> wrote: Remember, Bernie, they are selling books, not lending them. Books are
supposed to LEAVE a bookstore, not stay on a shelf. So the individual
item (the book) is transitory. How would you determine the level of
classification detail needed from the context of a constantly changing
collection? Or, actually, from a rather random non-collection, since
bookstores carry what is available for sale, not a calculated chunk of
knowledge that they've pulled from all time and most space. You'd have
glaring gaps, and even more unevenness in terms of level of coverage of
topics in a bookstore than you have in a library. Under those
circumstances, classification beyond the broad headings of the bookstore
just might not be useful.

kc

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net

http://robin-news.blogspot.com/
on technology, web 2.0/3.0, design, etc.