[Web4lib] Re: [lita-l] Why don't bookstores use Dewey or LC? Was: NYT article on Dewey-less Arizona public library

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 03:29:11 EDT 2007

Well, there's new bookstores, and there's used bookstores. An old friend,
Sue Davidsen, helped build a pioneering attempt to organize Internet
resources.  It was called Go-Mlink and it categorized resources found on the
Internet Gopher.  As I recall she employed the "used bookstore" model of
classification.

You raise an interesting point, Karen.  No doubt the list of current best
sellers changes frequently.  But I wonder if the breakdown of titles by
subject changes all that much, or that fast. My guess is that most new book
sales are driven by author or title, not subject, eg the latest John Grisham
thriller.  No doubt the list of current best sellers is a classic Zipf
distribution, with a small number of titles accounting for a huge percentage
of sales.  Bookstores in airports must pay dearly per square foot, but they
don't have to stock a deep selection of English lit.

Do legendary large book stores (new or used) like the Tattered Cover use
more library-like classification schemes?  Has anyone ever calculated, or
conjectured, at what size a collection of objects requires a special
taxonomy?

/rich