[Web4lib] Re: [lita-l] Why don't bookstores use Dewey or LC? Was: NYT article on Dewey-less Arizona public library

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Jul 17 20:36:44 EDT 2007

Remember, Bernie, they are selling books, not lending them. Books are
supposed to LEAVE a bookstore, not stay on a shelf. So the individual
item (the book) is transitory. How would you determine the level of
classification detail needed from the context of a constantly changing
collection? Or, actually, from a rather random non-collection, since
bookstores carry what is available for sale, not a calculated chunk of
knowledge that they've pulled from all time and most space. You'd have
glaring gaps, and even more unevenness in terms of level of coverage of
topics in a bookstore than you have in a library. Under those
circumstances, classification beyond the broad headings of the bookstore
just might not be useful.

kc

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net