[Web4lib] Why don't bookstores use Dewey or LC? Was: NYT article on Dewey-less Arizona public library

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 17 20:04:50 EDT 2007

After hearing some people tout the advantages of library-based methods of organizing collections I find myself wondering: Why don't Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc., use Dewey or LC?

Did bookstores start out with library classification systems and find them lacking? Or did it never cross the minds of bookstore owners to incorporate a tried-and-true system into their operations?

Note: this is not a facetious question...I really am curious about it. Why do bookstores today not use library-based methods like Dewey or LC?

Bernie Sloan