[Web4lib] Re: [lita-l] Re: Innovation: NYT article on Dewey-less Arizona public library

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Jul 17 19:54:52 EDT 2007

Bernie, I think some people think that all libraries have to do
everything alike -- therefore if this is seen as a success then they may
be "forced" to do it themselves. It seems clear that this may work well
in one library but not in another, and that threatens the "all the same"
world view.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how this method of ordering the
books might interact with RFID. If you don't have a set shelf location
for a book, or if the shelf location is less obvious than a Dewey
number, RFID and an inventory wand can help you find a particular item
without having a precise shelf location. No, you wouldn't want to hunt
the entire library for it, but it should be easy enough to check a tier
or two of shelves for something that can't be found visually. If your
library is such that looking for particular items is more occasional
than browsing, this might be a good enough solution.

kc

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net