[Web4lib] RE: [lita-l] Innovation: NYTarticleon Dewey-lessArizona public library

Larry Campbell larry.campbell at ubc.ca
Tue Jul 17 11:59:59 EDT 2007

Jimm wrote: "We librarians have a well-founded suspicion that one will
not find the best or most appropriate resource simply by browsing."

I'd disagree that the suspicion is well-founded, though I appreciate
that it's widespread. I think we've tended to underestimate both the
prevalence and the effectiveness of browsing as an information-seeking
behavior, whether in libraries, bookstores, museums, or supermarkets.
The irony is that Dewey and LC are themselves classification systems, as
opposed to simple inventory control systems, and hence are intended to
facilitate browsing as well as physically locating items (if all we
wanted was the latter, then placing all new books at the physical end of
the collection would suffice, as an earlier commenter indicated). But if
we're clear about the different functions of browsability and
findability, as well as about their distinct values, then we might find
a way to detach one from another, and not feel such worry over a change
from one classification or grouping system to another as times and
circumstances change.

By the way, I think that the theme of browsing and its importance
re-appears in a different form in Karen Schneider's concerns about the
disappearance of the journal as such in aggregated article databases.

Larry Campbell
Librarian
Information Systems and Technology
UBC Library