[Web4lib] RE: [lita-l] Innovation: NYTarticleon Dewey-lessArizona public library

Lin Light holight at llcoop.org
Tue Jul 17 08:27:25 EDT 2007

 For years there has been the debate over "Give them what they want 'vs.'
Give what we think they need". I believe this debate had a strong start in
New Jersey in the early 1980's, don't recall the library or the direct. But
it shock many in the profession. I think the Deweyless approach is just
another spin on that approach. In reality, if we are to stay in business we
need to adapt to our clientele wishes and needs (to a point that is
practical), and this is just one library's attempt to do so.
Sorry to say, but maybe the article is an indication of our current standing
in our society and it might be a glimpse of the future that scares the hell
out of some.

Lin