[Web4lib] Innovation: NYT article on Dewey-less Arizona public library

Andrew Mutch amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Mon Jul 16 14:32:36 EDT 2007

"I feel like there's a strong tone of arrogance and self-righteousness from the library community that is unwarranted in the face of a public that seems to be barely paying attention."

But it's not the public that is writing these articles. These are written by journalists who should make some effort to do more than rehash press release talking points and moldy stereotypes. If I was writing an article like this and didn't realize that libraries had replaced card catalogs or offered access to online reference materials, wouldn't you make the effort to see if this was the start of a trend or something that might have been tried out a place or two?  Might you trek down to your local library to see how it measured up to the "innovation" taking place in Arizona? If an automobile writer wrote about a new vehicle using hybrid engines and called it innovation or a business writer talked about the innovation of online stock trading, I doubt you would see them writing many more articles on either topic. So why do we settle for such cluelessness about our profession?

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library
Waterford, MI