[Web4lib] RE: [lita-l] Innovation: NYT articleon Dewey-lessArizona public library

Ranti Junus ranti.junus at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 14:23:54 EDT 2007

I am not sure, from the article, whether the library abandoned DDC
style for shelving the books or also abandoned DDC for cataloging.

Anybody from Arizona Public Library can confirm this?  If they also
abandoned DDC for cataloging, I'd be interested to know which
classification system they use now.

ranti.

On 7/16/07, Louise Alcorn <Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com> wrote:
[...]
> Again, what little I've heard is that there was a fair bit of discussion
> (and some resistance), and they ultimately chose to try this experiment.
> I don't know if the director sees this as something that would be
> useable at their larger main and branch libraries - I think that would
> be a harder sell, if only for the cost of re-cataloguing (yegads!) - but
> I don't know.  I think we can almost guarantee that there will be
> changes and tweaking of such a system over time.  I also don't know how
> this could be integrated in an academic setting - I think that would be
> an almost impossible sell (?).
>
> Should be interesting!

> Louise E. Alcorn
> Reference Technology Librarian