[Web4lib] Innovation: NYT article onDewey-lessArizona publiclibrary

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Mon Jul 16 13:46:23 EDT 2007

How about supplying a stack of Post-It Notes on all the shelves?
Patrons could write notes and put them on shelf locations, on books,
inside books, whatever.  "The books on this shalf are really great
sources on medical ethics" or "This book is a great overview of the
subject" or "This paragraph is palpably absurd."

Penn is doing that with their PennTags project - putting user-added data
on catalog entries, to enhance useability.

Extrapolating to the off-line, we have "staff recommendations" areas in
many libraries - why not "patron recommendations"?

And I was thinking more in terms of broad category names being visible
beside the Dewey numbers on the shelves, so that users got a visual clue
to what the numbers represented, thus helping visual and kinetic
learners understand Dewey better.

Which still wouldn't explain "cookery" instead of "cooking", but that's
another discussion :)

Peace,
Louise

Louise E. Alcorn