[Web4lib] Innovation: NYT article onDewey-lessArizona publiclibrary

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Mon Jul 16 13:08:33 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Pons, Lisa
(ponslm)

If we want to make our libraries more "browsable", why couldn't we have
signs that say "English Literature", "Ohio History" and more on the end
of our stacks in addition to the dewey numbers. This would seem like a
win-win for staff and users. Can we arrange layout for browsing, not for
dewey? Could we make brochures and online guides for "browsing the
library"?

That's exactly the kind of thing I'd like to see more of in libraries.
The biggest argument I hear against it is staff time.  But that's the
argument I hear against everything (we're 30-50% understaffed
regularly).  It's not an invalid argument, but I still wish we could
take this on as a time-valued project.

Louise E. Alcorn
Reference Technology Librarian
West Des Moines Public Library