[Web4lib] RE: [lita-l] Innovation: NYT article on Dewey-lessArizona public library

Benjamin Daeuber BDaeuber at cityoffargo.com
Mon Jul 16 11:49:03 EDT 2007

Quote:
	It was disappointing to me that most of the reaction on the
PUBLIB 	list was about how it was not going to work... before the
project even 	launched. The general trend of most posts are now,
"Well, it would 	work under very limited circumstances,
BUHHHHHHHHHHT..."

	I didn't know we had so much invested in Dewey. Me, I thought it
was 	an inventory system.

I must agree with most of this list that reorganizing your books does
not qualify as innovation. If you can get headlines from abandoning
Dewey, however, then more power to you.

As far as your last comment, I would argue that it's much more than an
inventory system. It's a way of tying a physical item (a book) to a
virtual item (a catalog entry). In many ways it's a precursor to the
internet of things that gets talked about so much.

I wrote a blog entry about it once:

http://bendaeuber.com/infobreaker/?p=32

Dewey=Findability

Ben Daeuber
Technology and Electronic Resources Librarian
Fargo Public Library
701-541-3287
701-241-1490