[Web4lib] Innovation: NYT article on Dewey-less Arizona publiclibrary

Andrew amutch at waterford.lib.mi.us
Mon Jul 16 11:29:35 EDT 2007

I don't think one has to be a Luddite or a fuddy-duddy to to be a bit
underwhelmed by the "innovation" described in the article. I suppose if
your library experience in stuck 10 or 20 years past, you might be
surprised by what's described in the article but what's really unique
here? The article starts off with "there is not a hint of a card
catalog." Wow! It's been 10 years since I worked in a library that had
one. I assume that their "automated computer system" is their online
catalog. You would be hard pressed to find many libraries that size that
don't have some kind of automation system. Self-check? We just installed
our first one this past year and we sure weren't breaking any ground
when we did. Reference materials available through databases? That's so
2000. Most of the other details deal with what I would call atmosphere.
Some libraries prefer to be classical in their look and feel. Others are
more modern in design. Again, what's so innovative about this approach?

As for the big to-do about doing away with Dewey, I think Karen's point
that "the system used must be appropriate for the size and scope of the
collection" is exactly right. Even in bookstores, their classification
method often doesn't work as the size of the particular subject grows.
That's why they slap more specific subject headings on each shelf. Good
luck finding a title in some of the broader subject categories without
all of those shelf labels. You're forced to browse through shelf after
shelf of titles trying to find the one that you want (I would like to
see the stats on how many people go into bookstores or libraries
interested only in browsing. Many people do browse but I would question
whether that's their initial intent when arriving). Dewey may not be
ideal but it sure helps focus your search a lot more quickly.

Finally, when the argument for doing away with Dewey is summarized with
“The younger generation today is wired differently than people in my
generation,” I have to wonder if this is simply a fad or a gimmick?
First, a significant portion of the library users are of Mr.
Courtright's generation and my generation. So if you believe that, why
you would switch to a system that doesn't meet the needs of the majority
of your users? As for the idea that the brains of the next generation
are "wired differently", I'm not buying it. It's a handy throw-away
argument to dismiss legitimate questions, not a serious defense for that
position. As for how well it works, have we seen anything that shows
that this system works better for patrons or staff? I didn't see
anything in the article that indicated that there's been any study of
what works and what doesn't.

I'm sure there's a lot of knee-jerk reaction to the article by people
wedded to the idea of "that's the way we've always done it..." I'm not
one of those people. But if I was going to propose a sea-change in how
we do things at our library, I better be able to outline why that change
is necessary and more importantly, why that change is better. So far, I
haven't read anything that explains why this approach is better or
necessary.

Andrew Mutch
Library Systems Technician
Waterford Township Public Library