[Web4lib] RE: [lita-l] Innovation: NYT article on Dewey-lessArizona public library

Will Kurt wkurt at bbn.com
Mon Jul 16 10:02:10 EDT 2007

While I'm the first to complain about bookstore
classifications of books (How often have you seen
Java and JavaScript intermixed?), I think Dewey
certainly has its fair share of faults
 the first being usability.

I work in a small corporate library that uses
Dewey, almost all of our users hold graduate
degrees and have a large amount of experience
doing research, and I still get a lot of
quizzical looks when I ask them if they know how
to find a book by its Dewey number.  The fact
that you’re looking for a 6-9+ character number
in tiny print using a classification system that
is not intuitive requires the user to a.) learn
the basics of the system first, and b.) spend a
lot of time processing each number as they browse.

I think this is a great experiment and I'm glad
that it’s working for them!  What’s even worse
then the initial ‘It could never work!’ that
Karen mentions, is that even now, after it
actually is working many of the reactions here
are still: “Well it’s only working because of X,
Y, Z other wise it would fail.”

Innovation is trying different things, especially
when the status quo says that such an idea is preposterous.

--Will