[Web4lib] Innovation: NYT article on Dewey-less Arizona publiclibrary

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Sun Jul 15 14:17:03 EDT 2007

Greetings,

What a strangely biased article.

I think you could go into almost any newly constructed library
and find clusters of comfortable seating.  How would that be
considered an innovation?

Not using Dewey also fails to qualify as an innovation.
It is simply abandoning a classification system in favor of
a more simplistic one.  Can you imagine abandoning Dewey or
LC in an established Library with a couple of hundred thousand
books?

The same results can be achieved with well thought out presentations
of new materials. If you had two newly constructed and
independent libraries, I guess that you could measure actual
circulation numbers.  But, I am willing to bet that in the
long run, everything else being equal, the library with the
more advanced classification system more items will circulate
more materials.

And, of course, current highly publicized books get more attention.
Duh.

I still get a thrill from going into a new library and
smelling that new library smell. New libraries represent
endless possibilities and hope.

Robert L. Balliot
1-401-421-5763
Skype: RBalliot