[Web4lib] Google docs

Havens,Andy havensa at oclc.org
Fri Jul 13 11:51:54 EDT 2007

That's a great idea. One thing I might suggest to anyone teaching Google
Docs is that it be regarded not just as a word processor, but as a wiki.

Each Google Docs document has a URL. You can link to them from
doc-to-doc using simple page names. You can link from within them to
outside URLs and vice-versa. You can give unique user permissions to
each document, allowing for group editing. Sounds like a wiki to me (and
with a good wysiwyg front-end, too).

Like all things Google, it's a "page-centric" model, rather than a
"file-centric" model. And with their purchase of Jot Spot (which has
yielded nothing but quiet for awhile, now), Google has an actual wiki
that they could merge with Docs in terms of some other functions. Jot
Spot had features like project tracking, calendars, discussion groups,
etc. These are simply more types of content that live "on the page." The
connect-a-bility becomes very important, once the basic content/format
features are installed.

If you read what the Google guys say about recent changes here:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/06/more-organizing-tools.html

And here:
http://google-d-s.blogspot.com/2007/06/entirely-new-way-to-stay-organize
d.html you can see that more sharing, and search (type-ahead in the doc
search bar? Very nice)functionality is being incorporated into the ap.

And here:
http://google-d-s.blogspot.com/2007/06/see-shared-docs-spreadsheets-befo
re.html they talk about how a non-Google user, who is invited to see a
Google Doc, can do so without having an account.

And Google Docs is adding presentations:
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2007/04/were-expecting.html

So, soon... If you create a presentation, it will be wiki-abled,
basically, and shareable in a very, very granular way; send an email to
everyone who attended your conference presentation, and they can
click-back and watch your Google Show (or whatever they call it).

My main point being, when teaching word processing skills with Google
Docs, don't forget the Web- and social features that aren't available
in, for example, a desktop version of MS Office or (the fabulous) Open
Office.

- A
Andy Havens
OCLC: Manager, Branding and Creative Services