[Web4lib] mediawiki and excessive CPU usage

Casey Durfee Casey.Durfee at spl.org
Tue Jul 10 14:42:34 EDT 2007

Check out the Special:Statistics page on your MediaWiki installation.  What does it say about your job queue?

Oh, you can configure how often jobs run from the job queue, if that's where these processes are coming from (though you should figure out what is spawning so many jobs).  More on that here:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Job_queue

>>> Ken Irwin <kirwin at wittenberg.edu> 7/10/2007 10:52 AM >>>
Hi folks,

We've got a wiki running on our library website (using MediaWiki 1.6.8)
and have noticed that since installing it our CPU usage is almost always
right up at 99% of capacity. About 100 distinct processes related to the
wiki run about 2000 times every minute. It may be that a high-traffic
wiki needs all this legwork to keep itself up-to-date and functioning
well, but this is a super low-traffic wiki. Does anyone know if it's
possible to get wiki to chill out a bit? ($cpuQualudes = "yes";)

We're thinking of installing additional wikis on the same machine for
different purposes, and we'd like to not fry its little brain. Any advice?

Thanks
Ken

--
Ken Irwin