[Web4lib] RE: [Publib] Job listing- Webmaster in CT

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Mon Jul 9 14:52:41 EDT 2007

Turner,Kathleen wrote:
> I just took a look at the employment section of our city website
> (Philadelphia) and discovered that there is a $35 application fee to
> take the competitive exam that is required for most civil service jobs
> in the city -- I assume this would apply to most jobs in the city
> library system.
>
> Maybe this isn't all that unusual.

I think it's pretty standard for civil services positions.   About 10
years ago I applied for a position as a systems administrator for the
city government offices (the mayor was on the interview team).  I didn't
have to pay a fee which I submitted my application and I went through an
afternoons worth of interviews.  I would have been required to take the
civil service exam (and paid a fee) if an offer was made.  As it turned
out, I had interviewed at Cornell the day before and got an offer before
the city had interviewed all of their candidates so I removed myself
from their candidate list.  I few weeks later I noticed a sign in front
of a parking space outside the city offices labeled "Systems
Administrator Only".  It was right next to the mayors parking space.