[Web4lib] Google Books a tease, not a useful tool, for serious research

Coleman, Ronald rcoleman at ushmm.org
Fri Jul 6 09:46:08 EDT 2007

I always viewed Google Books as a discovery tool that could help serious
researchers locate books they can use for their research.  I don't think
of it as its own standalone research tool.  It doesn't replace the copy
sitting on the library shelves, but it can lead you to that copy when
other tools (library catalogs, journal databases, etc) cannot.  It's
simply another tool in a researcher's "toolbox" of research techniques.

The example I always use when working with researchers is this: Once, at
the reference desk, I was approached by a historian who was looking for
information on a Romanian businessman from the 1930s named Nicolae
Malaxa.  The historian had already looked through all the books on the
Holocaust in Romania that were in the DS135 R& section--including all
the books he himself had written on the subject--and came up with
nothing.  We searched JSTOR, Project Muse, and all the other usual
suspects, and found nothing.  Before he walked away, I pulled up Google
Books and tried searching for "Nicolae Malaxa."  The very first hit was
for a book entitled "Wanted! The Search for Nazis in America," which is
a title we would never have considered before.  I used the catalog to
locate the book on our shelves and, sure enough, there was an entire
chapter on Malaxa.  Again, Google Books didn't replace the book on the
shelf; it was merely a tool we used to discover it.  In this regard,
Google Books (and A9, Microsoft Live Book Search, et al) is a useful and
valuable tool that augments other search techniques.

Your concerns are valid and understandable, but from my perspective it
seems like you are trying to make this service out to be something it is
not.

Ron Coleman
Reference Librarian
United States Holocaust Memorial Museum