FW: [Web4lib] Federated Search versus Crawler or Spider

Michael L. Champion mchampion at lvdl.org
Tue Jul 3 12:22:26 EDT 2007

Perhaps federated search is the wrong technology.

Wouldn't it be better if we could load the metadata and location
information directly into a database that we control?  This would allow
us to decide what the appropriate metadata might be, how search results
would be returned, etc.

The TOCROSS project in Great Britain in, I believe, 2003 was a proof of
concept of sorts
(http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/programmes/programme_pals2/project_tocro
ss.aspx).

Or, we could do what Google does and contract to allow us to crawl the
vendor's database and pull back the information that we feel is
important.

There would be some technical problems with de-duping and incomplete
records but nothing that couldn't be worked out.

As an added bonus, once the data and links are in our database,
controlling authorized access to the vendor's content would be much,
much easier.

For those people who want to make sure the content they link to is
always available there is the LOCKSS project
(http://www.lockss.org/lockss/Home). Then we would hold both the
meta-data and the data of the content we purchase. (If the vendor's are
willing to give us contracts that say we can, of course.)

I can see a three layer contracting scheme growing out of this: 0ne
contract for harvesting the meta-data, one for accessing the content and
one for holding the content.

Regards,

Michael Champion
Head, Information Technology Services