[Web4lib] Federated Search versus Crawler or Spider

McIntyre, Ruth RMcintyre at agric.wa.gov.au
Mon Jul 2 23:27:56 EDT 2007

I must declare my hand and say that I strongly favour the federated search
option.  My preference for federated searching is based on the fact that it
is "up front", it is clear what sites you are searching, the search
functionality should replicate the functionality of searching the target
sites, the information retrieved is absolutely current and there is no
negative impact on the target sites.
The argument in favour of spidering is based on the belief that it will be
cheaper and have better searching functionality. It may well be cheaper, but
I am unconvinced about the functionality and the quality control on the
information retrieved.
I am also apprehensive about undermining goodwill towards the Livestock
Library if we propose using a spider to crawl other websites.  Just as with
federated searching we would seek permission, as IT staff could block an
unfamiliar spider.
Do you have any thoughts on this?  Am I just being too conservative?
Ruth McIntyre
Manager, Livestock Library