[Web4lib] staff web contributers-training

Haines, L A ahaines at indiana.edu
Wed Jan 31 10:33:24 EST 2007

Here in the IU-Bloomington Libraries, we have an in-house CMS, so we
have to do our own training (much of the other computer training
available to staff on campus is provided through UITS, University IT
Services). We don't have any mandated training program, but our Web Team
does offer training sessions ("for beginners and forgetters") two or
three times a year, and someone (usually me) is available for one-on-one
or small-group sessions as needed. We are working to develop better
documentation and training materials as well and I think having written
material available on-demand will help a lot.

We don't have a formal limit to how many people may edit, and there are
a lot of librarians and staff who contribute content to our very large
site. Each page owner can delegate editing responsibilities as they deem
fit, and they can supervise or check work as closely as they think is
necessary. Yes, this may include student workers -- most often these are
grad students, many of them in library school. Page owners can train
these assistants themselves, or they can send them to our training
sessions, or both. (We try to be flexible!)

If someone from the Web Team notices a glaring problem with a page, we
will sometimes contact the page owner and offer assistance, but this is
pretty informal.

Hope this helps!

-Anne

Anne Haines
Documentation & Instructional Writing Coordinator
Indiana University-Bloomington Libraries
ahaines at indiana.edu