[Web4lib] websites who sell access to licenced material illegally

Mark Sandford sandfordm1 at wpunj.edu
Mon Jan 29 10:46:51 EST 2007

(Sorry for the direct reply, Kerry)

Clay, I can't help much on how to solve your specific problem.  But we had
something similar happen.. one of our vendors cut off our access for
downloading thousands of music files, which was what made us aware that this
was going on. We do have control over our authentication lists, so we can
handle it locally, as well as cutting off IP ranges.  Apparently some ISPs
are well known for not following up on complaints and since we don't have
many faculty or staff members logging in legitimately from Southeast Asia,
it's an option for us to limit more aggressively.

However, a quick experiment shows that at least some of these sites are
indexed by Google.  To use my institution as an example...

Google advanced search for "ezproxy.wpunj.edu " and Language = Chinese
Simplified.  I went through the results and they're no longer valid
user/pass combos, but they're there.  I chose another library, one I found
on the site Thomas posted, and it came back in the results with currently
valid information.  So if your authentication server has its own url, you
might want to search for it in different languages and see what comes up.

--
Mark Sandford
Special Formats Cataloger
sandfordm1 at wpunj.edu