[Web4lib] websites who sell access to licenced material illegally

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Jan 29 10:03:31 EST 2007

On 1/29/2007 9:45 AM, clay wrote:

> ...What I see there appears to be someone selling
> a NetID/NetPassword combination for people to use to get to our journals
> and databases.  This leads to potential licensing agreement violations,
> should the vendors/publishers find out about it.

Several of our member libraries have had student credentials posted to
similar sites, such as:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.free789.com%2Ffree%2Fzhhao%2Fezproxy%2F%23&langpair=zh-CN%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=%2Flanguage_tools

When we spot suspicious activity ("Hmm, Alice Smith downloaded 1200
journal articles last night - 400 each from sites in Estonia, Turkey,
and Arizona..."), we alert the library in question that they might need
to change the student's PIN or password.  Searching Yahoo or Google for
the credentials sometimes turns up several web sites they've been posted
to, where you sometimes find other accounts to check.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu