[Web4lib] MySpace and Public Libraries

Samantha Schmehl Hines samhines at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 13:59:05 EST 2007

Hi Margaret and others,

I don't know if this has been discussed to death (I'm on the web4lib
digest) but at Law for Librarians last April in Chicago we were
encouraged to think of MySpace, blogs and the like as public fora and
manage them in ways that we manage other public fora (have clear
policies for what can and can't be posted reviewed by an attorney, in
accordance with other policies like those for meeting rooms, public
bulletin boards and displays, etc.)  I can try to drag out my material
if you'd like but I don't think I have any firm case law, statutes
etc.

Samantha Hines
Social Sciences Librarian,
University of Montana