[Web4lib] MySpace and Public Libraries

HAZEL Margaret E margaret.e.hazel at ci.eugene.or.us
Thu Jan 25 18:51:28 EST 2007

I have a somewhat different angle on this question - I'm trying to find
out if anyone implementing social networking tools of any sort for the
public has gotten a legal opinion on our role as public institutions in
providing that public interaction.  Are we creating a public forum, and
what can we and can't we do, once we've done this?  Have people
considered the intellectual freedom aspects of providing the access to
these interactive tools?  What kind of training, disclaimers, rules,
etc. have you set in place around the tools?

-Margaret Hazel
 Eugene Public Library
 Eugene, OR