[Web4lib] Webcast-in-a-box solutions?

OTL Bill w.warters at wayne.edu
Tue Jan 23 10:59:17 EST 2007

I'd be sure to check out the open source ePresence project
http://epresence.tv/
They also provide some hardware and software "packages" to help ease
the purchase decisions involved.
Here's the quick summary from their site:

ePresence Media is our core technology for producing and publishing
navigable and searchable multimedia presentations. It is open source
software, licensed under a BSD-style license, and as such, is
available free of charge.

With ePresence Media, you get tools which enable you to capture and
publish presentations to the Internet. Archiving lets viewers review
previously webcast events, and provides easy-to-use navigation and
search features. Archiving allows remote viewers to be free from
traditional time constraints imposed by live presentations. Even if
their schedule doesn't allow time to see an event in person, or via a
webcast, they can achieve nearly the same experience by viewing the
archive.

Requirements for remote viewers are kept to a minimum -- at least a
56K connection to the internet, a PC, Mac, or Linux system with a
browser, and Windows Media Player, Real Player, or Quicktime. The
ePresence Media system uses off-the-shelf components and industry
standard media streaming technology to reach the broadest audience
possible..