[Web4lib] Critiques of Library 2.0?

Meredith Farkas mgfarkas at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 09:02:42 EST 2007

On 1/23/07, Mike Taylor <mike at indexdata.com> wrote:

>To which I would add:

>Has anyone figured out what "Library 2.0" actually _means_?

I think if you ask five people, you will get five different answers. Some
people define Library 2.0 as being primarily about technology -- being
available at the point of need, providing library services online where our
users are, creating more interactive library systems that capitalize on the
collective intelligence, and developing more usable library systems. Other
people focus more on service orientation than technology - user-centered
services, surveying users, constantly re-evaluating our collections and
services, meeting the needs of the long-tail (or underserved), etc.

There is a meme map of Library 2.0 online
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42538191@N00/113222147/ which gives an
interesting perspective of all the ideas that have been swirling around
Library 2.0. It shows how murky the concept is, and how all of the ideas are
basically centered around making the library more usable, friendly,
user-centered, and available.

I'm not personally a fan of the label, but I figure that whatever gets
libraries moving towards being more user-centered than they are now is a
good thing. At my library, though, if I started talking about things like
Library 2.0, I'd get laughed out of the room. My colleagues are much more
interested in concrete tools than concepts; maybe it's a Vermont thing.

Meredith

--
Meredith Gorran Farkas
http://meredith.wolfwater.com/wordpress/