[Web4lib] Fwd: Circuits: Ode to the R.I.A.A.

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Sat Jan 20 13:45:18 EST 2007

Don't know how many of you read David Pogue's Circuits in the NYT, but
this week's entry tickled my fancy.  Enjoy:

Circuits From NYTimes.com
Thursday, January 18, 2007
-------------------------------------
To view this e-mail with images, go to:
http://www.nytimes.com/circuitsemail?8cir&emc=cir

1. From the Desk of David Pogue: Ode to the R.I.A.A.

Ever since I phased out my career as a Broadway
arranger and
conductor, I've tried to keep my toe in the showbiz
world in
my own peculiar way: I write new, tech-industry lyrics
to old
melodies.

Here's my very latest. It's a special tribute to the
R.I.A.A., the Recording Industry Association of
America - the
organization of the record companies who've decided to
fight
music piracy by filing lawsuits. It goes to the tune
of the
Village People song "Y.M.C.A." Ready? Cue the disco
drums!

"R.I.A.A."

Young man,
You were surfing along,
And then, young man,
You downloaded a song,
And then, dumb man,
Copied it to your 'Pod,
Then a phone call came to tell you:

    You've just been sued by the R.I.A.A.!
    You've just been sued by the R.I.A.A.!
    Their attorneys say, you committed a crime,
    And there'd better not be a next time!

    They've lost their minds at the R.I.A.A.!
    Justice is blind at the R.I.A.A....
   "You're depriving the bands! You are learning to
steal,
    You can't do whatever you feel!"

Know what?
They're a lawsuit machine.
They say so what
If you're only thirteen?
And you know what?
They were equally mean
To an 80-year-old grandma!

CD
Sales have dropped every year,
They're not greedy-
They're just quaking with fear,
Yes, indeedy-
What if their end is near,
And we download all our music?

    They'd all freak out at the R.I.A.A.-
    No plastic discs from the R.I.A.A.!
    What a way to make friends! It's a plan that can't
fail:
    Haul your customers off to jail!

    And who'll be next for the R.I.A.A.?
    What else is vexing the R.I.A.A.?
    Maybe whistling a tune? Maybe humming along?
    Maybe mocking them in a song-!

(The sound of jackboots bursting into the
room...handcuffs...muffled cries...a columnist being
dragged
away... repeat and fade.)

-----

This week's Pogue's Posts blog:
http://www.nytimes.com/technology/poguesposts/index.html?8cir&emc=cir

-----

Visit David Pogue on the Web at:
http://www.davidpogue.com

Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company

Louise E. Alcorn
Reference Technology Librarian
West Des Moines Public Library
4000 Mills Civic Pkwy