[Web4lib] question about video downloads from a library catalog

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Fri Jan 12 16:50:09 EST 2007

Gillian Wiseman wrote:
 > This is a question from my city manager, and I am not familiar enough
 > to help him out; he has heard that there is software that would allow
 > a library to have video footage (in this case, city council meetings)
 > that could appear in the library catalog as a regular catalog entry,
 > and then allow patrons to click on a link that would allow direct
 > viewing and/or downloading from the online catalog.
 >
 > Is this possible?  Would it depend on the library automation system?
 > Would it require other technology, and if so, what would be required?
 > This presumes that the video already exists in a downloadable format,
 > which the city's IT department can already handle (they're preparing
 > to have the video stream from our city website).

I'm not a cataloger but I think as far as the catalog is concerned, all
you'd have is pointers to the actual video files.  You don't have to
host the things.

If the city's IT department can already mount the files, then all you
need from them are the URL's.  Why duplicate their efforts?

The city manager may have been confused by the seamlessness of the
system(s).

LEO

www.leoklein.com (site)
www.ChicagoLibrarian.com (blog)