[Web4lib] authentication using pGina

Kwangsoo Han kwangsoohan at mail.und.nodak.edu
Wed Jan 10 10:27:53 EST 2007

Hi,

We recently implemented "pGina" to authenticate users for our public
computers of Windows XP. "pGina" attempts to authenticate users against
RADIUS server if I'm correnct.

A problem occurs when a user's id is longer than 20 characters because after
authentication is successful Windows XP tries to create an individual user
profile, but Windows XP is not able to create a user profile with more than
20 characters as an account. This is one of Windows XP's limitations.

Is there a way to get around this?

We know we could set Windows XP to use only one pre-created common profile
for all users. But, we wish to avoid this because it could cause privacy
issues.

Any help will be appreciated.

Kwangsoo Han
Web Services Librarian