[Web4lib] Problems with Wikipedia

Jimm Wetherbee jimm at wingate.edu
Fri Jan 5 14:37:45 EST 2007

Lars,

But non-experts can identify authorities with biographical citations,
citation indexes and reviews.  That is part of why encyclopedias include
a brief mention of their contributors' credentials.  Note, I am not
saying that the average person would, only that it is a technique
readily available.  Still, the larger point I was trying to make was
that relying on an authority is not necessarily invalid.  The library
staff at Williams was assuming their patrons had the skills to
distinguish between experts and non-experts but that such a skill is
rendered moot if no authority is provided by an article.

--jimm