[Web4lib] Advice? PCs will connect to LAN but not internet

Beth DeGeer bdegeer at bartlesville.lib.ok.us
Wed Feb 28 17:01:12 EST 2007

I'm having a problem over here and I can't figure out what's going on.
Recently we got in six new PCs, set them up and put them out for the public.
We have had no problems with them until now.  Around the same time we got in
a new one for a staff member.  We also have four "old" PCs that were set up
with security so they'll only access the library catalog over the internet.

These computers are unable to access the internet as of this morning.

They are on the network, can see other computers on the network, they just
can't get to the internet.  The staff computer has a 172.16.2.X address, the
public ones are all 172.16.3.x.  Other PCs in both ip ranges can access the
internet with no problem.

The staff computer is plugged into a different switch than the public
computers.  Other computers on both of those switches are not having a
problem.

While all of the public computers are secured with Microsoft Shared computer
toolkit, the staff computer is not.  While the six new public computers and
the one staff computer are the same Dell model, and arrived at the same
time, the four catalog computers are older ones.

I cannot figure out what they have in common, or why they are unable to
access the net.  Can you think of anything to check?  I have looked at the
firewall, but no changes have been made recently, and I also looked at the
content filter, but again, no changes lately.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Beth DeGeer
Assistant Director
Bartlesville Public Library
600 S. Johnstone, Bartlesville, OK 74003
(918) 338-4164 bdegeer at bartlesville.lib.ok.us
http://www.bartlesville.lib.ok.us/