[Web4lib] Wanted and Needed: A test bed!

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Mon Feb 26 15:50:38 EST 2007

I sent this message out to the SUNY Librarians Association Discussion
List (SUNYLA-L) today.  I am posting it here for discussion and
suggestions.

 In Participatory Networks:  The Library as Conversation (
http://iis.syr.edu/projects/PNOpen/ParticiaptoryNetworks.pdf
<http://iis.syr.edu/projects/PNOpen/ParticiaptoryNetworks.pdf>  ), the
authors suggest the creation of a test bed to be shared by groups of
libraries:

"To complement the more abstract exploration of participatory networks
and participatory librarianship, there must be an active "playground"
where conversants can experience first hand the technologies discussed,
and then actively shape the tools of participation. This is the test
bed. This test bed would implement a participatory network of libraries,
and provide a common technology platform to host blogs, Wikis,
discussion boards, RSS aggregators, and the like. These shared
technologies would be used both to experiment with new technologies and
to provide real services to libraries. Thus, libraries could not only
read about blogging applications, they could try them and could even
roll them out to their community members. As libraries start new
community initiatives they could rapidly add Wikis and RSS feeds, hosted
at the shared test bed. The test bed would also make all software
available to the libraries so they could locally implement technologies
that have proven themselves. The test bed would provide both the open
source software, and consulting support to implement features locally.
The test bed would also develop new metrics and means of evaluating
participatory library services for the use of planners and policy
makers."

I believe that such a test bed could be created within and amongst SUNY
libraries for the use of SUNY librarians to learn about these new
technologies and to develop new services within their libraries and
across SUNY.  This may take a buy in by the Council of Library
Directors, SUNYLA, ITEC, and of course OLIS.  Many of the pieces are
available for free from such sites as Blogger, PBwiki, and others but we
need to be able to do this within SUNY using SUNY expertise and
resources.  The test bed could provide a place for libraries within SUNY
that do not have local support for such services to provide these
services.  Many SUNY libraries (both state ops and community colleges)
are already providing these services using Blogger and other non-SUNY
sites.  Lets bring it in-house so we can develop the necessary technical
expertise and experience to use and develop so-called Library 2.0
services.  Any thoughts?

I will also post this message to my blog at
http://babyboomerlibrarian.blogspot.com so you can leave your comments
there as well.

Wilfred (Bill) Drew
Associate Librarian, Systems and Reference
Morrisville State College Library
E-mail: mailto:drewwe at morrisville.edu
AOL Instant Messenger:BillDrew4
Facebook me <http://www.facebook.com/p/Bill_Drew/202201900>
BillDrew.Net: http://billdrew.net/
Wireless Librarian:    http://people.morrisville.edu/~drewwe/wireless/
Library:    http://library.morrisville.edu/
SUNYConnect:    http://www.sunyconnect.suny.edu/
My Blog:   http://babyboomerlibrarian.blogspot.com

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin, 1759