FW: [Web4lib] The Wikipedia Gotcha -- a cosmic perspective

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Sun Feb 25 10:15:31 EST 2007

Binkley, Peter wrote:

> Thanks to John Hubbard, this idea has a home at LISWiki now (see
> forwarded note below). [...] http://liswiki.org/wiki/Wikipedia

When I saw LISwiki I thought I should check up if there are any
opinions about Google Book Search, especially after having read
(web4lib member) Anders Ericson's harsh words against them on the
official website of the Norwegian Library Association,
http://www.norskbibliotekforening.no/article.php?id=1523
http://www.norskbibliotekforening.no/article.php?id=1547

(I'll leave it to him to explain and translate.)

I don't share Anders' marxist point of view, but find it
interesting that all aspects are analyzed.

However, at http://liswiki.org/wiki/Google
one can read that this is "An Internet search engine favored by
librarians and most of the world."

This is the kind of naive enthusiasm that, when suggested to
Germans, is met with "enthusiasm? we tried that in the 1930s".
While this is an exaggerated caricature, it does define a
distinction between the ever-skeptic Europe (Eeyore) and the
childishly ever-optimistic America (Winnie-the-Pooh).

Now, both kinds of voices are playing together on LISwiki. Google
is favored by librarians, but Wikipedia is met with opinions.  It
is inevitable that the two articles are compared, by readers
trying to understand what librarians think.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)