[Web4lib] The Wikipedia Gotcha -- the student perspective

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Fri Feb 23 09:03:41 EST 2007

Craig, Emory writes:
 > Since the Wikipedia thread has been going strong, let me add one
 > more element to the fray. An item from Campus Technology's News
 > Update says that Middlebury College has banned student use of the
 > site. While I have some issues with Wikipedia, banning is probably
 > the worst solution possible.

This seems to be a sensationalised version of the truth.  The article
itself suggests, and some of the comments seems to confirm, that
Wikipedia is accessible from Middlebury College as before -- only that
it should not be cited in academic work submitted to the college.
Well: we all knew that already, didn't we?

And, seriously, is there anyone here who would cite _Britannica_ or
any other encyclopedia in an academic work?

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor    <mike at indexdata.com>    http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "... you pay a quarter for a partnership in rhyme to the jukebox
	 that's crying in the corner ..." -- Marillion, "Sugar Mice"