[Web4lib] The Wikipedia Gotcha

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 10:57:38 EST 2007

That cuts both ways.  It would be foolish to assume that each article grows
ever more perfect over time.  Remember Wikipedia having to ban
house.govbecause Congressional staffers were gleefully editing their
bosses' bios to
sanitize away their foibles?  Any given edit could be an improvement, or it
could turn the Wikipedia article into total falsehood.

And there is no version control.

Thus you could cite the earlier, correct version of the article, and when
people follow the citation link, they get the current, 100% wrong version.

/rich