[Web4lib] Stockholm: Great Library website

Scott Warren Scott_Warren at ncsu.edu
Wed Feb 21 10:36:31 EST 2007

Teman is the indefinite plural of tema which means theme, so teman means
themes. Subjects is basically accurate.

They seem to be written by librarians. By clicking on the part that says
läs (read) below each entry, and then where it says 'av' (by), short
bios come up. Every one I've looked at, about a half dozen, all work for
libraries. Not all are reference librarians, however. They seem to be
spanning lots of jobs, including at least one or two behind the scenes
IT folk. Here's an example,

On the Tips and Teman page,
http://www.biblioteket.stockholm.se/default.asp?id=2994&refid=2989
Clicking on Skönlitteratur (first category, upper left, roughly 'fine
literature') brings up this page,
http://www.biblioteket.stockholm.se/default.asp?id=5610&ptid=
Under the first entry is Läs böcker du inte får läsa ('Read books you
may not have read' or 'have not read' or 'may not have gotten to read')
Clicking on that takes you to
http://www.biblioteket.stockholm.se/default.asp?id=5284
where it says Av Daniel Andersson (By Daniel Andersson). Click his name
and you get his bio
http://www.biblioteket.stockholm.se/default.asp?id=2149 and you see he
works on the Swedish library website.

It might be possible for the general public to comment. My Swedish is
very very rapidly being outstripped here, but the bottom paragraph on
the tips and themes page,

    När du läser och tar del av materialet, var med och tyck till! I
    anslutning till många teman och listor finns möjlighet för dig att
    skriva kommentarer och att sätta betyg! Har du tips på ämnen du vill
    läsa mer om? Skriv och tyck!

roughly (and I mean that!) seems to say that

"when you read and take out things...you can complete many 'themes' and
lists because there is the possibility for you to write commentaries and
to say/compose your testimony. Do you have  tips on [your] intentions
you want to read more about? Write and Think/Imagine!"

So based on my course translation which offers no guarantees, I think
there is some possibility for feedback or participation.

Scott

Cary Gordon wrote:
> Well, if you would like a bizarro machine translation, there is:
> http://www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTran?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.biblioteket.stock
> holm.se%2Fdefault.asp%3Fid%3D2994%26refid%3D2989+&type=text&text=&from=swe&t
> o=eng
>
> It translates "Tips och teman." to "Hint and subject"

Scott Warren, M.A. LIS
Assistant Head
Textiles Library and Engineering Services
North Carolina State University Libraries
Box 8301
Raleigh, NC 27695-8301
919-515-6602 (phone)
919-515-3926 (fax)