[Web4lib] Mailto: links that can't be harvested by spambots?

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Mon Feb 19 13:09:16 EST 2007

Since speculation on what screen readers do in these cases gets us
nowhere, I installed Fangs [1] (in the interest of science) and looked
at our contact pages [2] (this is somewhat academic, since we provide
mailtos and forms, but it still works for the purposes of this
argument).

On the page:
http://www.library.gatech.edu/email_form.php?type=user&id=181&return=staff_directory

my email address is created via javascript on page render.

Fangs claims the page looks like:
...ugly screen reader rendering snipped to get to the part that matters...

Recipient colon Ross Singer Mailto colon Link ross.singer at
library.gatech.edu Or submit via form

...snip...

It appears that screen readers take the rendered source.

[1] http://fangs.sourceforge.net
[2] http://www.library.gatech.edu/staff_directory.php

-Ross.