[Web4lib] Is Wikipedia Failing?

Crawford,Walt crawforw at oclc.org
Fri Feb 16 15:04:45 EST 2007

The example Emory Craig provides is interesting but tricky: By all accounts, MS was trying to get errors corrected by paying an expert to say *whatever the expert wanted to say*--because MS couldn't do it directly. There was no attempt at secrecy, no attempt to control the message.

Wikipedia's response--"Commission a white paper and suggest that we link to it"--was astonishing.

Not quite as astonishing as the attitude toward anyone "tampering with" an entry on themselves--unless, of course, they're a Special Case like Cory Doctorow, who apparently is allowed to edit his own entry. Otherwise, you can't say you don't want to be in Wikipedia, you can't correct flagrant errors in your entry (unless you do so via meatpuppet or pseudonym)...well, it makes me happy I'm non-notable (in English, at least).

[Yes, I use Wikipedia...as a starting point. Yes, I've made edits...two of them. But also, yes, I have better things to do, especially since Alain V's experience is by no means unique.]

Walt Crawford