[Web4lib] Online games for kids dept

Lynne Puckett lpuckett at billings.lib.mt.us
Fri Feb 16 12:41:19 EST 2007

Bokuno wrote:

> Even better:
>
> Use a kids' computer to install games to shared folders on a file server.
> Some of the files end up on the PC (DLLs, config files, etc.), but the
> binaries end up on the server. Copy the local files (and possibly some
> registry entries) to the other kids' computers. Then any kids PC can
> run any
> game, even simultaneously. And it makes it a lot easier when you have to
> replace a defective kids' computer; just copy some local files and
> registry
> entries and you're done. It's a little trickier than I'm making it sound,
> but a clever technician can make it work very well if you have a fast
> network.
>
> (But do make sure you own enough licenses to do this legally.)
>
> Lucien

We avoid the network issue, since we don't have infinite bandwidth & the
kids games are heavily used. We copy all the files for every game to the
hard drive & run them from there, including installs. Some we do virtual
drives on so the computer thinks the CD is there even though it's not.
Then we use Ghost to clone the master, and Deep Freeze to lock it down.
We buy enough licenses to be legal.

Lynne

--
L. E. Puckett