[Web4lib] website design copyright issues

Gail Clement clementg at fiu.edu
Tue Feb 13 11:26:45 EST 2007

As with Aaron, IANAL.

I am, however, one of the ALA-trained Copyright Scholars Aaron mentioned
who works on the Copyright Advsiory Network. And I'm happy to add my two
cents!

To warrant copyright protection, a work has to rise to a minimum level
of creativity and originality. That is why items such as phone books and
some blank forms are not eligible for copyright protection.  IMHO, the
basic three-column layout of a web page design described by the John is
similar to a basic blank form.  It is not sufficiently original or
creative to warrant protection.

Gail Clement
Head, Digital Collections Center
Florida International University