[Web4lib] Wiki for library procedures

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 18:05:52 EST 2007

We're using dokuwiki (http://www.splitbrain.org/projects/dokuwiki) on
a semi-official basis to store our library procedures, meeting
minutes, etc. It is highly configurable for permission granularity
(anonymous vs. users vs. groups across the entire wiki vs. sections of
the wiki vs. individual pages), maintains version histories for every
page, offers RSS feeds and email subscriptions to page changes, and
retains everything in flat files so you don't have to worry about
setting up & maintaining a database in addition to the wiki.

The price is right -- free -- and it requires just PHP + a Linux
system. It will run on Windows, but I ran into trouble trying to get
the email part of the system running under Windows, whereas the email
part ran out of the box on Linux. Therefore, I recommend Windows.

The WYSIWYG editor it offers is good enough for the basics of creating
a page, but as with most wikis changing a page after the fact pretty
much requires you to understand the markup.

Dan Scott
Systems Librarian
Laurentian University