[Web4lib] Laptop checkout security

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 19:25:22 EST 2007

First, Web4Lib seems like a strange place to ask for advice on loaning
laptops! But anyways...

We started our laptop loan program in January of this year, and based
most of our policy decisions on a sampling of laptop loan policies
that are available online
(http://www.liswiki.com/wiki/Laptop_check-out is a great starting
point) and some advice from the SYSLIB-L mailing list  (thread
starting at http://listserv.buffalo.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0612&L=syslib-l&T=0&P=2879)

Like Elena, we use a 4-hour in-the-library-only reserve policy and
treat it as a normal ILS transaction, with the requirement of signing
additional "I will be charged for damage or loss of this item." paper
form for each transaction -- even though a laptop really is just an
expensive variation of any other item that we offer for loan.

To avoid the swapping / removal of valuable parts (like pulling out
one stick of RAM), we put foil stickers over every removable piece.
The foil stickers are supposed to be impossible to remove without
tearing, so our circ staff just have to count the 6 shiny stickers
every time the laptop is returned to be reasonably sure that no
problem has occurred.

We tried inserting security strips in the laptops, but found that our
security gate only detected them 10% of the time -- apparently the
proximity of so much electronic equipment throws off the detector.
Again, though, given that the borrower is responsible for the full
value of the item we're not too concerned about theft. I suppose staff
could arrange for a bogus checkout to a friend using stolen ID -- but
if that happens then we've got bigger problems to deal with.

So far the program is quite popular, we've received plenty of positive
comments from patrons, and we would definitely expand the program to
offer more laptops (possibly for more hours and for use outside of the
library) if funds become available.

Dan