[Web4lib] Laptop checkout security

Maurice York maurice.york at emory.edu
Thu Feb 8 17:09:33 EST 2007

As an old circulation and reserves hand, I've gotten wary of keeping
anything personal that belongs to students (keys, ids, sweaters, coffee
mugs, earrings, etc, etc...I once heard of a reserves desk that asked
students to leave $75 in cash in a sealed envelope in exchange for checking
out high-value items). The risks and headaches that there will be something
valuable stored on the card, that an emergency will happen and they won't
have their keys, that one student will put something in an odd drawer and
the next staff member won't be able to find it, etc, get a bit overwhelming
(in a former reserves life, I instituted a "trade-for-materials" policy and
learned all of this the hard way).

For straight circulation of laptops, in my book, nothing beats using the
goold old-fashioned ILS to check the stuff out and fine students the full
price of the laptop if it doesn't return (we charge a round $1500 here,
which also gets them their library privileges blocked as a bonus, and we
bursar the bill, so mom and dad get an unpleasant shock to boot). Students,
of course, need a university or photo ID in order to check out anything in
the first place, so ID verification is built in. As far as I know, we
haven't had a single lost or stolen laptop since we started the lending
program, nigh on these four or five years.

-Maurice

--
Maurice York
mcyork at emory.edu